Sunday 27 January 2013

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Movie Review



The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Directed by Peter Jackson
Starring: Ian McKellan, Martin Freeman
 

I'm going to start this post being perfectly honest with you. I had never watched the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, nor had I read the books. When I was younger my friend always wanted to go and see the movies in theatres as they came out and I relunctantly went with her all three times and literally hid underneath my coat for the majority of the movie. I tried to read the books but I was too young and just could not understand them. My roommate recently came home with a trilogy box set of the Lord of the Rings movies that he had borrowed from a friend. I actually WAS interested in seeing The Hobbit so I commited myself to taking on all for. I guess age and maturity have changed my interests. Now, on to the review.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is the story of Bilbo Baggins recounting his "adventure" in a journal to share with his nephew Frodo when the time comes. It all starts when he decides to embark on a mission of bravery after being coerced by Gandalf and a dozen or so dwarves. The purpose of this adventure is to reclaim the land of the dwarves after being forced to leave the mountainous area while it played host to a dragon. They have to overcome various obstacles ranging from differences in opinions to ferocious and hideous Orcs.


I found the graphics and effects, including the costumes of the goblins and orcs, reminded me of an adult version of the power ranges. Gollum was extremely well done but other than that I was not only unimpressed, but found it to be a bit comical as well. The "not-so-dark" scenes were great. The dwarves showing up to the uneventful Shire and turning Bilbo's world upside down was quite entertaining, if only the entire movie had been as good as that scene.


Another negative about The Hobbit, it was way way wayyyyy too long! It's not Harry Potter people!
Agree? Disagree? Let me know! K xo
 
 
P.S - This is the second movie review I have done that is a film adaptation of a novel so I won't be posting another film review until I finish reading the books. I am quite biased to books, versus the film version so I am excited to see how I enjoy the written word version. (The Hobbit and Silver Linings Playbook). 

No comments:

Post a Comment